Sunday, November 8, 2009

An Etiquette a Day


Ever wondered how to introduce your friends who barely know each other?

It's pretty safe to say that in Pisay, almost everyone knows about everyone else. Afterall we live in a 3.3 hectare community, boy, if you didn't know about the latest gossip of whom, you must be a hermit! But, then again, from time to time, we encounter situations where we have to introduce a friend to another friend. The two of whom barely know each other. The following are the hard and fast rules:

1. The younger or less distinguished is introduced to the older or more distinguished. (e.g. Jared this is Perry my classmate, Perry this is Jared my younger brother; OR Phil this is Dr. Caiway my research adviser, Sir, this is Phil my classmate who want to join our research group)

2. But, always introduce a male to a female, regardless of distinction. (e.g. John meet Betty my cousin, Betty this is John my classmate; OR Sir this is Vanessa my classmate who wants to join our research group, Vanessa this is Dr. Caiway my research adviser).

3. The only exception to rule no. 2 is when the male is a President, a Cardinal or a reigning Monarch. (I wonder if anyone of us will ever get to rule number 3 not at least in the near future, but who knows...)

When being introduced, "How do you do" is the best answer, a casual "Hello" may be fine but never "pleased to meet you", unless you're sincere about it.

Don't forget, an etiquette a day keeps the rudeness away!

P.S.
Any comments, questions? Use the combox!

-Sir Madz

No comments: